Super Visa: Information Page

As of December 1, 2011, parents and grandparents of Canadian citizens and permanent residents can stay with their families in Canada for up two years under the new Parent and Grandparent “Super Visa.” Below you will find information about the application process and eligibility requirements, as indicated on the Citizen and Immigration Canada website.


Who can apply

  • Parents or grandparents of a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada
  • Individuals who are found to be admissible to Canada
  • Those who meet certain other conditions

See Citizenship and Immigration Canada for more information.


Who cannot apply

  • Dependents, other than spouse or common-law partner

Who is admissible

The Government of Canada will consider a number of factors before deeming you admissible:

  • Are you a genuine visitor to Canada?
  • Will you leave by choice at the end of your stay?
  • What are your ties to your home country?
  • What is the purpose of the visit?
  • What is your family and financial situation?
  • What is the overall economic and political stability of your home country?
  • Did a Canadian host invite you to stay?

What you need

How to apply

  1. Fill out the Application for a Temporary Resident Visa Made Outside of Canada [IMM5257].
  2. Gather any required documentation.
  3. Submit your completed form and supporting documents to a visa office.
  4. Make sure to pay the fee that coincides with your country or region.
  5. Make sure to purchase Visitors to Canada insurance.

*You may request a multiple-entry visa for up to ten years if you submit the applicable fees along with your application.


A note for visa-exempt visitors

If you are the parent or grandparent of a Canadian citizen or permanent resident and your citizenship exempts you from requiring a visitor visa to enter Canada, you are still eligible to benefit from the “Super Visa.”

If you would like to take advantage of a two-year authorized stay in Canada, please follow the steps under “How to Apply.”

If your application is approved, you will be issued a letter. Please present it to a Canada Border Services Agency officer at the port of entry when you arrive in Canada. The officer may authorize a visit to Canada for up to two years.

For more information on the “Super Visa,” please visit Citizenship and Immigration Canada.


Learn more about our services and products by visiting the Ingle International main page.

Leave A Reply