What Type of Travel Insurance Do I Need?

You’ve heard it here before: travel insurance is not a one-size-fits-all sort of purchase. That’s why Ingle carries an extensive list of insurance products to cover all sorts of travelling scenarios.

But if you’re not familiar with all the ins and outs of travel insurance, looking at the long list of available options out there can feel a little daunting—like having too many brands to choose from in the grocery store.

So, what exactly are all these different plan categories? And which one is right for you?

With a few quick questions, we can help you figure that out.




Yes, I’m Canadian.

For most travelling Canadians, however, Canadian Travellers Insurance offers extensive coverage for a wide range of scenarios.

In addition to travel medical coverage for illness and injury abroad, there are also non-medical coverage options for things like cancelled and delayed transport, lost baggage, and accidental death.

Do both those types of coverage sound vital to you? Never fear: all-inclusive coverage offers the best of both worlds.

Are you hitting the road for more than just a personal trip? If so, read on to the next section. Or are there any unusual risks facing you? Consult the third section for more options.

Tip: Planning multiple vacations over the next year? Rather than securing insurance coverage each time, consider simplifying things with a multi-trip annual plan.


No, I’m not Canadian.

Depending on the purpose of the trip, we have a few categories of plans that should be best suited for you:

Coming to Canada for a visit (or to stay on a Super Visa)? Visitors to Canada Insurance will cover all your bases while you’re in the country.

Coming to Canada specifically to study? International Students Insurance is for you.

Just travelling the world? International Travellers Insurance provides medical coverage for anyone going anywhere.




I am a snowbird heading south for the winter.

Snowbird Insurance is specially designed just for you. Perks include coverage for multiple trips, some stable pre-existing medical conditions, and the cost of transport back to a hospital at home.


I am going to study abroad.

International Students Insurance is what you need. This kind of insurance is tailored to the concerns of students studying abroad, with benefits like coverage for hospitalization and side-trips outside your country of study.


I am going to work/live abroad for an extended period.

When you’re living abroad, you need medical coverage for a much broader range of situations than your average traveller—including things like annual check-ups, dental care, and other non-emergency situations. If this sounds like your concern, Expatriate Insurance is what you need.


I am travelling as part of a group (e.g., volunteer group, corporate trip, sports team, etc.).

There are special group plans and rates available! Find out more here.




I have a pre-existing medical condition.

While pre-existing medical conditions are often excluded from insurance coverage, that doesn’t mean you are out of luck. There are actually some options on the market for travellers with pre-existing conditions, although usually this is subject to the condition being stable for a certain period before you travel.

Because insurance for pre-existing conditions is heavily dependent on your personal circumstances, it is best to contact us directly to find out what your options are.


I plan to take part in professional and/or extreme sports.

High-risk sports like mountain climbing and skydiving, as well as sports played on a professional level, will be excluded from most insurance plans. If those are on your travel agenda, Special Risk Insurance is what you need.


I am travelling to a destination that is experiencing war, threats of terrorism, or other ongoing conflicts.

If there is a Canadian government advisory against travelling to your destination, then regular insurance coverage likely won’t be valid for your trip. Special Risk Insurance is designed to tackle the risks of these destinations, from emergency medical care to risk of kidnap and extortion.


Still have questions? Need more guidance? Don’t worry! You can always contact us for help.

Leave A Reply